Fresh herbs like basil, sage, mint and many others have the ability to lift up a dish to the next level, livening it up with a hit of freshness before serving. They will add a delicious depth of flavor throughout cooking. You can grow fresh herbs easily in your kitchen garden so that you will have a never-ending supply of your favorite flavor boosts.
Herbs can be categorized as being either soft herbs, like basil, coriander and parsley, woody herbs, like rosemary, and thyme. Soft herbs can be eaten raw in salads, or stirred and scattered over into cooked food. Generally, Woody herbs are too powerful to be eaten raw. Instead, they’re usually cooked alongside whatever intended to flavor and are often removed before serving the food. However, there are a lot of interesting herbs out there but in this article, we will discuss a few ones.
There are so many ways to use fresh basil leaves while cooking. Due to its sweet, slightly aniseed flavors basil is a central element in Italic cooking. In the USA, the use of Basil is common and it is commonly available in the US markets either fresh or dried. Basil that is mostly used is sweet basil, Thai basil, and purple basil. Pesto Basil is a famous Italian dish. In South Asia, it is used in my dishes such as green chicken curry. When the garden is overflowing with fresh bunches of basil, make the most of it with these creative ideas.
- Basil For Desserts
- Basil-Infused Olive Oil
- Basil Butter
- Sweet Basil Jelly
- Basil-Flavored Vinegar
- Green Smoothie
- Basil Smoothie
- Basil Tea
You can use fresh basil to spice up condiments that is one of my favorite ways to eat it.
- Basil Mayo
You can make basil mayo by finely chopping a handful of basil and a little bit of garlic, and then mix it well with 1/4 cup of mayonnaise. This will increase the taste when it adds to salmon burgers.
- Basil Butter
Another way to use fresh basil is basil butter. For making this just skip the garlic and replace the mayo with butter in the above-mentioned recipe. Cook your morning eggs with basil butter
- Basil Vinegar
Make basil vinegar by packing peppercorns, basil, and garlic into a jar then topped it with apple cider.
Rosemary is a popular herb that invents in the Mediterranean. It’s often used in French and Italian cuisine. The herb is warm and spicy, and is often paired with sour lemons, with sweet dishes, and even with rich meats like lamb. Use rosemary in cooking by chop it finely, otherwise the needles can be quite tough. Rosemary is a favorite in baked goods; savory cooked dishes, and even added to desserts.
While cooking, you can use this amazing herb easily by using following steps:
- Rinse well the bunches of Rosemary with fresh water then put the washed rosemary into a tea towel and dry it.
- Trim off all sprigs of rosemary from bunches with the help of sharp scissors or a knife.
- You can use sprigs intact for garnish and flavoring the dish before serving.
- Strip off the needles to the down stem after that discard the stems and transfer the needles to a cutting board.
- Dice the needles. Rosemary needles are quite tough even after cooked so chop it finely with the help of a sharp knife so that you can easily eat it.
Do’s and Don’ts –While cooking Rosemary
- Do keep your rosemary herb dry whenever you want to store it.
- Do use this herb in those dishes for which is best suited.
- Do store your rosemary properly to get the best result in the future.
- Don’t cook dried rosemary for too long.
- Don’t leave the rosemary stems in plates.
Oregano’s strong and woody taste makes a great addition to many dishes, especially those with fresh vegetables and meats. You can use it either fresh or dried. You can add this herb to soup and salads. There are a lot of recipes in which you can use fresh oregano to make them more delicious and flavorful. Some of them listed below:
- Oregano + Chicken
- Herbed Dinner Rolls
- Burger Seasoning
- Oregano + Beans
- Oregano Pesto
- Bolognese Sauce
By following a few guidelines you can easily use oregano in any dish that you going to make.
- Before using fresh oregano you should wash it well with water.
- After cleaning the herb, remove the oregano leaves from the stems.
- Chop the oregano leaves with a sharp cutter or knife.
- You can add them in cooking and baking.
You can use dried oregano instead of fresh herb but dried herbs are generally more concentrated and potent than fresh herbs.
Mint is super easy to grow in your kitchen garden. The great thing about mint is its heavenly smell. Most of people have no idea how to use this herb. Although Mint has great flavors it is also good for you.
You can use mint either in drinks or in your food. There are many famous recipes you can make with this fresh herb from which few of them are mentioning here.
- Make a Tea
- Mint Pesto
- Try Strawberry, Mint & Basil with Balsamic
- Try Watermelon, Basil, Mint Salad with Feta
- Iced Green Tea with Mint & Ginger
In America and some parts of Europe, Coriander is known as Cilantro and in Pakistan and Indian this herb is commonly known as “Dhaniya”. This herb is world wildly use as a garnish, condiment, or decoration on culinary dishes. You can use this fresh herb in your kitchen while making many dishes and meals. Some amazing ideas for using coriander are given below:
- Use to add flavor to mayonnaise or creamed cheese.
- Use to garnish fish, meat or vegetable dishes.
- Use in meatballs, meat or vegetable burgers and other homemade dishes.
- Add to gravies and stocks.
- Use in marinades, particularly for fish and meat.
- It goes very well with mushrooms.
- Use to spice up bland and stir-fries vegetables such as spinach.
- Use coriander in egg with a bit of salt and green chilies.